Friday 5 June 2015

Is This Delicious?

I was doing my grocery shopping at Woolies the other evening. I didn’t feel like cooking that night; so I decided to buy a pizza. As I got to the frozen food cabinet, a young Japanese woman thrust a frozen lasagna meal box in my face and asked (in a curt, demanding,no nonsense manner)

“Is this delicious”?
“I don’t know, sorry”, I answer.
“Not delicious”? She asked. She looked like child who has just gotten bad news about her puppy. She turned to her friend who also looked saddened. I felt as if I were in a scene from Haruki Murakami novel.

“It’s probably eatable and possibly tasty but I doubt it would be delicious”
“Oh”.
Silence.
I looked for a pizza.

She tapped me on the shoulder. She had a determined look on her face as she made a grand sweeping game show hostess gesture towards the doors of the frozen food cabinet.

“There MUST BE SOMETHING DELICIOUS in HERE!” she declared.

And then, “What are you getting it?”
“A pizza”
“Is it delicious”?
“I hope so”
“We’ll get one too!”
And with that we went our separate ways.

The pizza wasn’t delicious. It was ok. It was better than the pizzas you can from the major big chain pizza places. But it wasn’t delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment