Monday 8 December 2014

The Purpose Porpoise.

What is the purpose of my life? Purpose -that's a funny word. It reminds me of porpoise. Forget the purpose of my life, I want a porpoise in my life. Not as pet, but free in the ocean. I watched a documentary about dolphins and whales in captivity. So cruel. Magnificent,intelligent sea creatures in pool doing tricks.

I always hear about how smart dolphin and whales are. But never about porpoises. I might be wrong but they never seem to be part of shows. Does this mean this them not as smart or smarter than dolphins and whales?

When I was at uni, I Emily Dickinson's poetry. My  lecturer- tutor was a postmodern deconstructionist - so, of course, when he was doing a close reading of  I Cannot Live With You (640) his reading took him to a discussion of octopuses (or octopodes for my more pedantic readers).  Apparently, octopuses are really intelligent -much more than whales and dolphins. They are capable of  vicarious learning. For example, if you put an octopus in clear aquatic skinner box and have another octopus observe the octopus in the box trying to and finally escaping -when the observer octopus is put in the box - it solves the puzzle straight away because it has seen the first octopus solve the problem.

Maybe its the same thing with porpoises. They see the dolphin and whales being captured and they think
"F*ck that for a joke. Let's pretend to be stupid"


Anyway, back to the purpose of my life - maybe like that Gary Larson character, I'll find it at the back of my lounge.


No comments:

Post a Comment